My spouse came home the other day, a little pre-occupied. I asked him if something was bothering him. He said-“We’ve been trying to close a position for some time but haven’t been able to. There are several candidates who came for the interview but I wonder if they have a clue about why they came for the interview at all?”
Doesn’t this sound familiar? Not yet..? Alright, read on and answer the following questions and assess what is true for you.
- Do you apply for a job without reading the Job Description in detail?
- Do you send your resume without assessing it against the Job Description?
- Do you highlight your relevant experience in your profile before applying for a position?
- Do you research about the company before going for an interview?
- Do you prepare for an interview with reference to your experience or with reference to the position in question?
Well, if you are someone who does it all, this article may not be for you… And you can stop here!
However, if you are one- who relates with the above questions, you are one of the many and it is ok to be in this category. You will soon discover what is missing, so to get your calling you must imbibe the following five learnings-
- FOCUS ON CAREER AND NOT THE JOB- Do you apply for a job or a career opportunity? Begin to perceive a job as not just a job but a stepping stone for your career. Begin to see how much one puts at stake when one accepts an offer for a career opportunity. A wrong opportunity can totally derail your career while the right career opportunity may take you places.
- BE A QUITTER- What we suggest at Change Ur Story, is that you have to be a quitter! Don’t be surprised. What we mean by that is you have to learn to quit the thought, the desire to apply for an opportunity which is not right for you i.e. which doesn’t take you closer to your long term goals.
- GET INTO A SELF INQUIRY- Whenever you come across an opportunity, evaluate and inquire. Will this career option utilize my strengths & potential? Will it give the needed meaning to my career? Is this what I am happy doing?
- GET INTO FLASHBACK MODE- See your life in a flashback mode. What were the times when you were happiest at work? What did it take for you to accomplish breakthroughs where you were appreciated or rewarded for performance? What did you do right? What was your environment like? What was right in those moments that made you feel totally aligned with yourself? Make a note of the findings and realign your future goals with reference to these points.
- BE COURAGEOUS- Most importantly have the courage to acknowledge the current reality and take the corrective measures no matter how insecure it feels. You may not be able to achieve it in a day but begin with the first step. Have a plan to transition into the career you perceive as a fulfilling career that brings out the best in you. Dare to listen to your calling and take action to Change Ur Story!
P.S- Do share this article and subscribe to our Blog! Our Facebook page is a great place to ask questions, get advice, and learn more about having a successful career. Do leave your comments, questions and suggestions on what you would like to hear more about. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel and follow us on Instagram, Twitter & Linked In. To hire a Coach, you may contact us at email@example.com.